Sunday, December 20, 2009

Talents

Kirk is reading a book with Anthon about kids who go to a special school because they have a "talent," or, to be more precise, a magical talent.  This afternoon, Kirk was teasing Anthon that he'd have to go to school on weekends and holidays if he didn't unload his rack on f the dishwasher, or some such chore, and Anthon said, "Like Blorr's Academy! But I don't have a talent."  Even though I knew he meant he didn't have magic, it got me thinking of my kids' talents, and, more specifically, mine.  I'm very good at many things.   (Side note--I love that my niece said that she was "feeling amazing about [her]self for not scorching the bottom" when talking about making her first chocolate pie--way to look on the bright side, Kins!).  I'm excellent at loving.  I'm very compassionate.  I'm not too bad of a writer.  I'm a very good reader and test taker.  I'm a good friend.  I'm a pretty good cook/baker.  I'm great at talking to my kids about the world around them and explaining things in a way they might understand.  I'm a spectacular hugger.  I think I'm pretty insightful, most of the time.  I have great instincts about things, and I've gotten a lot better at trusting those instincts.

One thing I'm not so good at, though, (Kirk would disagree, which I appreciate, just so that's on the record) is making a house feel cozy and homey.  Especially during holidays.  It always seems just half done, to me, or at least very amateur-ish.  Ideas?  What's the one thing that you feel makes your house a home?  Cozy and loving, functional and beautiful, warm and welcoming?

Personally, I think curtains and rugs are totally underrated (mostly because we don't have any yet).

1 comment:

jamesrivergirl said...

I really, really like the part where you talk about your talents. I agree with all of them, except in many places I would put "great" instead of "good." You are dear to me.

On making a house a home-I'm not good at this probably. I think a big Christmas tree is nice. I put way more lights than Brandon thinks is necessary.;)We always buy a real one because we love the smell. I add to our ornament collection each year. This year I've put matching wreaths on doors inside, not just outside, and I like them. Also, across our piano, I have white lights and red berries in a silvery tinsel garland and we like that too.

Not having to do with Christmas-time: I really felt like I had arrived when I bought our all-white duvet set for our down comforter in our room.

Will you send me your digits pleez?