Saturday, February 27, 2010

Book Club

After my last experience with a book club (which was the best group ever, and I still miss it desperately), I decided to volunteer to help with a book group some ladies in my new ward here in Allen were just starting up.  I volunteered my services, and they nominated me leader.  Which was okay, I guess.  Just intimidating.  

Last night, nope...it's Saturday already...Thursday night was our first meeting.  We'd read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, a book they'd chosen before I entered the picture and one I'd already read and loved, so that was a bit of a relief.  I was nervous and had all kinds of notes and cheat sheets (no laughing, Melissa K.) and so many dog-ears and marked passages that Kirk totally made fun of me. 

I don't really know how it went, because I was too nervous to be a good judge, but it's over now, and I feel like I can breathe again.  I LOVE books and reading and writing, but speaking/presenting? No way.  Give me a paper and pencil and I could go on about a book for hours, more if I loved--or hated--the book, but ask me to talk about it in front of people and I suddenly can't remember my own name.

Breathe, Sonja.  Just breathe.  

Now I can read for fun...

2 comments:

Katie said...

I have never been in a successful book club and it's my one life's wish. I tried an online one and it made it a year but even then it wasn't very active.

So what book are you reading right now? I'm reading Gone With the Wind and it makes me think of you because I remember you saying you enjoyed that southern Civil war era.

Sonja said...

Yes. American history is fascinating to me, but sadly, I've never actually read "Gone With The Wind." I think I'll have to.

Right now I'm reading Maisie Dobbs books, but our book group is doing The Glass Castle next. Have you read it?