Saturday, September 20, 2008

Thanks for the reminder, Erilyn!

Erilyn's really into piggy back rides these days. She rides on my back on her way to take a nap, on our way out to the car, up to the breakfast table, out to get the mail...you get the idea. A few days ago, I was giving her a piggy back ride home from getting the mail and I could feel her clutching at my shirt, seemingly trying to find a good holding on spot. She'd never really done this before, so at first I thought she was scared and wanted to get down, but when I looked back, she had a huge smile on her face and she wrinkled her nose at me (which is an endearing sign of pleasure). For some reason it struck me how totally trusting she was of me, and how she believed unquestioningly in my love for her and in my ability to take care of her. As we continued to walk home, and I could feel her little hands grasping onto different spots on my shirt, I felt poignantly the truth of the fact that there is a God I can reach out to, that He loves me unconditionally, and that if I trust in Him, I can feel His loving care every minute of every day of my life, in times of joy as well as uncertainty.

Children are certainly powerful teachers!

3 comments:

Susan said...

So true!! Thanks for sharing the lesson. Love ya!

Tressa said...

Hey! I got your email a couple of weeks ago about your blog...so cute! Your kids look so grown up and big! Looks like you guys are doing well!

jamesrivergirl said...

Beautiful.

(And the anecdotes on the side are so funny.)