Tuesday, September 16, 2008

I'm free! Free at last!

"My daughter has entered the skirt and dresses phase, where pants and shorts are regularly and vehemently shunned for twirly-girly-ness, preferably PINK twirly-girly-ness. One day, all of her suitable “princess” wardrobe pieces were in the wash and jeans just wouldn’t do. I quickly whipped up a pink skirt for her while she sobbed on the floor next to me bemoaning her mean mother who decided to clean her clothes." (From the blog Balancing Everything)

If I had read this a few years ago, I'd be hurriedly cutting out some fabric, frantic that I hadn't already thought of making a skirt (regardless of the fact that I didn't have a little girl yet), and lambasting myself for being so lazy/uncreative. Now that I'm so much more mature, and wise, and experienced, I just laugh. Did anyone else wonder why she didn't just do the laundry?!

Admittedly, I'm not a sewer. Don't get me wrong, I can sew a skirt if I have to. I'm not too shabby at blankets and pillowcases. But I would never have thought, in the event of running out of clean girly clothes, "Hmm...oh well, I'll just sew some." My mind just wouldn't even go there. I'm so glad I've gotten to the point where I'm comfortable saying, "That's just not me. And that's okay." How liberating!

3 comments:

Kinsey said...

Way to be! :) Luv ya!

Lorraine said...

Or why she didn't just tell her daughter, too bad. You can be a princess in pants today. :)I am not the kind to whip out the sewing machine for my kids, either.

Susan said...

It sure is OK. You are awesome!