Friday, January 7, 2011

In the beginning...

We created a homeschool.  It was without chalkboards, desks, and a globe (sigh--the sigh is only about the globe, though.  I couldn't care less about the chalkboards and desks.), and the spirit of learning moved upon the house.  I said, let there be school!  And there was school.  And I saw the school that it was good.

Okay, okay.  That's as far as I can take it.  It's lucky that I'm not God!

Anyway.  It's official.  We have begun homeschooling!  I wish I would have taken a picture, but I forgot.  We still don't have all our books, but that's okay.  We started anyway.  I wasn't actually planning on starting today, because I haven't typed up my schedule yet, or the plan for the week (or day, as the case may be), and I need to get some books from the library, but Anthon kept asking if he could do some school, so I pulled some stuff out and let him get started.  I thought after one assignment, he'd be done. Not even close.  That was at 9:30 this morning and he's still asking for more work, at 2 in the afternoon.  We've taken a lot of breaks, of course, to jump on the trampoline, or have snacks.  But he keeps coming back.  And so does Erilyn.  Fun, fun!

I'm pretty naive, but not so naive as to think it'll be like this everyday.  It's a good start, though.

Hooray for not having to go to school at 7:30am!  And hooray for being able to do school in our jammies if we feel like it! (And today, I feel like it. It's been a long week.)  And hooray for recesses every half hour!  And hooray for being able to do your work while sitting on an exercise ball instead of a stiff chair!  And hooray for trampolines for P.E.!  And hooray for afternoons at the park with friends!

Hooray!

3 comments:

HILL HESS said...

Hey Sonja. I hope you don't mind I am sneaking on your blog from Toni's. I just want to give you a pat on the back for all your enthusiasm for the homeschool. You can do it! Keep up the good work! :) And I missed you guys at the park! :(

jenifer said...

Sonja!! Your kids are so cute and getting so big. I'm VERY impressed that you are homeschooling!! I hope you LOVE it. Kids are really a lot of fun if we don't think about everything we could be doing without them. ;) Good to catch up with you via the internet!

jamesrivergirl said...

Hi Sonja,
I read your post earlier, but wasn't able to leave a comment. Just wanted to let you know that I loved reading it. And sometime I want to know what you plan and stuff like that. We haven't quite started our 2nd semester. I know I want changes from our 1st semester, but it's taking me a while to figure what that means.