Friday, March 7, 2008

Beginning Reading and Erilyn extras

Anthon sounded out his first four words today! Well yesterday, if I'm getting technical. I'm just getting around to posting about it today. Anywho--we were very excited! I was teaching him some phonics just for fun and he sounded out "p-i-n," said the word, and then realized that he'd said the word and the smile that came over his face was just priceless! It was very exciting. He then sounded out "sit," "had," and "no." It was all very thrilling.

Erilyn is into having snacks with the cat. For some reason she loves cat food. Go figure. I really do feed her! She likes to sit next to the cat while he's eating and keep him company. She's figured out how to feed him, too, so he's getting a bit chubby. She also likes to eat my cough drops, change her shoes, throw her food on the floor, build with leggos (which she's getting very good at!), change her shoes, jump on her bed, or ours, push her shopping cart around, change her shoes, play with cars (can you tell she has an older brother?!), brush her teeth--well, eat the toothpaste, but the brush is in her mouth, so I count it--change her shoes, talk to me in mostly incomprehensible babble, chase Anthon, put make up on with me, and change her shoes. Good thing she has a lot of shoes. She's very fun. I figured out that she doesn't like to say the last consonant in her words and now I can understand her much better. Though she doesn't talk much, well, let me rephrase, though I can't understand much of what she says, she's gotten good at nodding or shaking her head to answer a question I ask her. I can't figure out why she just won't learn to talk! I read to her, I talk to her, we sing, I try to make her say the word before I get something for her, we point out objects to her, and she always says something back to us, but it's not quite the right word. She can say, relatively clearly, about fifteen words, so I'm not worried yet. I guess I'm just used to Anthon who's always doing everything before he's supposed to be ready to do it yet. He likes to push the envelope in every way. Erilyn is much more content to wait.

3 comments:

smlaw said...

Hi Sonja! I found your blog off of Michelle's- I hope you don't mind me looking! I've missed you! Your kids are adorable and you look beautiful!

Sonja said...

Hi Suzanne! Give me your email address so I can email you! Of course I don't mind you looking--if I did, I would have restricted access. Do you have a blog? We can link them. I'm starting to feel a little self-conscious about how few links I have!

Melody said...

Sonja,

I always enjoy reading your blog journals. You should be writing a book. We, the readers are highly entertained. I enjoyed seeing everyone in Texas. The kids have really grown since I last saw them.
Thanks again for letting Ciara come to visit.